Monday, May 9, 2022

TRIBUTE TO Thanh Tâm Tuyền's Lệ ̣Đá Xanh -- Dương Như Nguyện's Crying Green Jade


The Listener, Forest of Memory, and Wall of Oppression
enamels on grained paper and digitual infusion
(c) UND 2010

ABOUT LE DA XANH, “CRYING GREEN JADE”: A tribute to Thanh Tam Tuyen, South Vietnamese poet and novelist (1936-2006)
(c) dnn May 10 2022

***~~~***

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE ON THANH TAM TUYEN: Thanh Tam Tuyen (acronymed “TTT”) was a refugee from North Vietnam in 1954, right after the Geneva Convention divided Vietnam into two zones: communist North versus non-communist South.

TTT (meaning “Pure Ebony of the Art”) is the pen name of Dzu Van Tam, co-founder of the literary and cultural magazine Sang Tao (“Creativity”) in South Vietnam. (The word “Tuyen” can also mean “a stream,” so the pen name TTT can also mean “Stream from the Pure Heart”).

With this magazine as his “literary child,” TTT started the “free verse” movement in South Vietnam in the 1960s, thereby transforming Vietnamese poetry for the later half of the 20th Century, at least in the South. He also wrote novels and essays, conveying refreshing philosophical themes and a new literary style, which I consider to be ground-breaking for his generation in South Vietnam, during his time as well as thereafter. An eloquent teacher, TTT was well admired by, not only readers of his work and poetry but also generations of his students.

Following the fall of Saigon in 1975, he was sent to a "reeducation camp" by the winners of the Vietnam War. After years of hard labor and imprisonment, TTT immigrated to the U.S. as part of the Reagan-Bush Administration’s “HO” program, and settled in Minnesota, where he lived a quiet, secluded life until his death in 2006.

Among TTT’s most famous “free verse” poems is Le Da Xanh, which I subjectively translated as “Crying Green Jade” (see Appendix 1). Le Da Xanh was set to music by two of South Vietnam’s best known songwriters, Cung Tien and Pham Dinh Chuong (i.e., two separate songs). Both musicians were South Vietnamese refugees who settled in the U.S. after 1975.

In my opinion, the version composed by Cung Tien (“CT”) (see Appendix 2), in particular, bears certain characteristics of, and influence from, the impressionistic and melancholic nature of the early 20th Century’s Romantic (or post-Romantic) composers of the West such as Debussy and Satie, although the tonal nature of Cung Tien’s composition remains intact (contrasting against what was pioneered as atonal trends in the West, but not yet introduced to, pre-1975 South Vietnam).

The following personal essay is based on what Le Da Xanh, the poem and the song, means to me -- that which inspires me to write.

___________________


ABOUT LE DA XANH: MY CRYING GREEN JADE

Both Uta Hagen and Lee Strasberg will agree, and so will Maria Callas who thinks of herself as the servant of music: performing artists, whether in the vocal art or drama, must reach deep down in their soul and find something at the core of their existence to rely on, in order to express. That's the private sphere of the artist's soul, to be given to that which he/she expresses...

Everybody whom I knew from the imperial city of Hue knew that my maternal grandmother was among Hue's most beautiful women.

Grandma wore a jade bracelet all her life. It became greener and greener as she aged.

Memory of childhood in Vietnam often got me back to those nights in Hue, when Grandma held me in her arms, and I felt asleep. Nighttime in Hue could be cold and rainy, but she kept me warm.

In the middle of the night, often I woke up and felt something cold: It was a pleasant cold, smooth and pure, from a dainty object, like a slender, polished cut of stone on which I could lean and rest my cheek.

It was her jade bracelet, of course, pressed against one side of my face. I felt asleep again, her breath over the top of my head filtered down and warmed up her jade bracelet, I was sure. But the cold lingered on, on my cheek, like a cold thread of silk, piercing through the warmth of her breath.

I felt safe in that pleasant cold, my pleasant cold, isolated in all that warmth to anchor me.

***
But then I felt something else.

A wet tear must have smeared onto her jade bracelet. I felt it.

Was the jade crying, or was it Grandma?

Childhood's deep sleep took over always, those nights in Hue.

My little self was not burdened by the weight of thoughts, so I never knew for sure where the tear came from.

́́́***

Her jade bracelet was passed on to me. I wore it on the night I stepped on the C130 cargo plane at Tan Son Nhat airport.

Onto America. Without Grandma. I was forced to forget.

Yet the jade bracelet became a perpetual piece of jewelry. It spoke of who I am and where I came from.

At times I forgot that it was on my wrist.

One day at the University's Recreation Center, I went swimming and was doing the backstroke. The goal was: if I learned music and chose a writing career, I had to learn physical education to achieve balance.

In that one swim, like destiny, I felt so distinctively that my wrist had hit the wall of the swimming pool, as my arm reached over my head to push myself ahead, darting on in all that Clorox-smelling water.

I couldn't hear any sound of breakage in all that water, but I knew something had happened. Instinctively I turned myself into a somersault, dived down without preparation, and looked deep in that water. I saw the bracelet, broken in half. The two halves were falling down, separately like two entities. The two pieces would never find each other again.

And then in all that Clorox-smelling water, I felt Grandma around me. I felt the coldness of the dainty cut of stone pressing onto my cheek. I was safe against that pleasant coldness, upon which I relied. Upon that cut of smooth stone I leaned.

I felt, too, the one tear that wetted my cheek as though it were parting the water to become its own space.

The jade was tearing, or Grandma was tearing.

The jade bracelet that defined me was gone, broken into two halves, falling down and down and down, separated from me forever, into that bottomless Clorox-smelling mass of engulfing water...

America.

***

The swimming instructor said that day I almost drowned.

But somehow before she could jump in to help, I had gotten myself back up. I emerged from that water by myself, and got off the swimming pool.

I can't remember what happened next.

Part of me blamed America for the loss of the bracelet. Part of me blamed myself.

***
In my own American womanhood, I finally learned that Grandma's Vietnamese life (1910-1979) had enough events hidden in her heart to cause her tears. Events of her family. Events of her Hue, and events of the whole country. That which made the jade greener and greener as she aged. That which caused the one tear I felt on that jade circling her wrist, in my dormant Vietnamese childhood.

I came to learn the silence of that one tear. The silence of green jade. The silence of Grandma's heart.

The silence of my loss in America.

***

And that was what the performing artist in me would rely on, in delivering Cung Tiens' Le Da Xanh. To myself.

All I need was the coldness of the cut of stone resting against my cheek, upon which I relied, one night in Hue.

So I don't need the orchestra. Please dismiss it and make my stage simple. Please give me that one tear in the sound of your lonely guitar that speaks to me the silence of Grandma's green jade.

The solitude of the green jade that cried.

The solitude of Grandma's heart that cried.

The solitude of her Hue night that cried.

The solitude of that one tear I felt in the tenderness of Grandma's arms.

The solitude of my stage.

The one tear on stage this night speaks of my loss, and of Grandma's sufferings and all the secrets she bore. What was buried in her heart.

Her Vietnam.

That one tear, unspoken, yet spoken, like the delicate notes -- half tones and whole tones -- to circle into the words they become. Worn upon a Vietnamese woman's wrist, pressed against her forehead, her cheekbone, and then her heart.

Thank you, CT and TTT.

(c)DNN 5/7/2022

______________________

APPENDIX 1: translation/interpretation

Lệ đá xanh – Crying Green Jade

BY © THANH TAM TUYEN
ENGLISH INTERPRETATION: ©Wendy Nicole Duong Nhu-Nguyen 5/9/22

Note from Interpreter: “Crying Rocks” are literary motifs and images found in American contemporary literature based on American Indian folklores and heritage.

In contrast, concepts of an age-old rock that holds memory of tales through thousands of years as witness of life events and history were part of the foundation for ancient China’s epic novel/metafiction, Hong Lau Mong (Dream of the Red Chamber).

In Vietnam’s classical heritage, the personification of rocks and waters became literary symbol of the culture. For example: “Da van tro gan cung tue nguyet, nuoc con cau mat voi tang thuong” (Rocks sustained their internals against wear-and-tear from the test of time; water frowned at life’s upheavals that transformed seas into berry fields), quoting Ba Huyen Thanh Quan, Vietnamese poetess, 19th Century.

TTT transposed these ancient concepts into modernity, as birth (or rebirth) of a new (or rejuvenated) literary motif. Unique to his free verses, Le Da Xanh reflects the silenced psychic pain of his generation in absorbing loss, despair, and disillusion.

I chose the phrase “Crying Green Jade” to interpret the title, because it was the only phrase I could think of, which denotes and combines two different semantic possibilities drawn from TTT’s original language:

1) Tears themselves become green jade, i.e. the poet cries and his tears turn into green jade; or

2) Tears are held in the poet’s heart, so the heart cries but tears are withheld within, meaning the palpitating heart is crystalized or solidified into green jade.

Both concepts are metamorphosis that only poeticism can project.

I have also added English words that denote silenced or suppressed pain -- the poet’s tender heart becomes the reservoir of tears, symbolizing the inner strength of endurance.

In contrast to Red as the color of blood, a “heat” symbol standing for Life, TTT spoke of Blue as either sapphire blue or emerald green, a “cool” tone in the visual art, signifying coolness or coldness, denoting solitude or lonely efforts at rejuvenation following losses, sufferings, or bloodshed – the hope of Art.

I chose “jade” as my interpretation because of its cultural meaning -- ornament associated with the Vietnamese female motif and image of femininity.

However, to interpret TTT’s poem as relating only to a couple’s love is to belittle the poet’s philosophical temperament and message about Vietnam’s pre-destined sufferings, found in his written works. Le Da Xanh also reflects the largesse of his soul and thoughts – he spoke of sufferings as fatalism, which I construe to mean the image of a Vietnamese Sisyphus. There, TTT spoke clearly of the larger scope: Le Da Xanh…oi nhung nguoi khoc le loi mot minh -- Tears from those who cry alone… (In his later poems composed during his “re-education camp” imprisonment, TTT described the silent heroism of political prisoners in drawing their strength from a glimpse at springtime outside their cells, during forced labor. This serves as comparison to, and contrast against, Beethoven’s heroism and musical reverberation in deafness -- testament of the human spirit against adversity).

I have also added English words to TTT’s reference to Christianity as the European addition to Vietnamese collective epistemology: concept of the testing, seductive Apple displayed to suffering humankind by a creator-God. This point is significant to me because it shows the poet’s humanity, as well as his enduring belief in free will and love as part of such humanity – the poet is not an atheist like his indoctrinated North Vietnamese Marxist counterpart.

Le Da Xanh is a short and seemingly simple poem, yet packed with images, philosophical ideas, and overwhelming emotions, cast into the best form of Vietnamese abstractionism. This is also my goal, as I use my instinct to put forth the English interpretation in the simplest form of the English language.

I chose this poem because I think it speaks of the cultural and artistic life of South Vietnam as part of early nation-building, for which TTT was a symbol as well as an important witness of history. The musical form has made the poem last, as it is being sung in Vietnam today (see Appendix 2).

I must dedicate this essay and interpretation to my late father, who introduced TTT’s work to me when I was just a child in Vietnam. I believe my father authored the only published literary critique of TTTs famous novel, Dọc Đường (On the Road). Ref. Dương Đức Nhự, “Đọc Dọc Đường cuả̉ Thanh Tâm Tuyển” (“Upon Reading ‘On the Road’ by Thanh Tam Tuyen”) ̣ (1960's). Published in literary journals of South Vietnam, my father’s critique was not archived, and hence, can no longer be located after 1975.

©DNN Mother’s Day, 5/9/2022

~~~***~~~

CRYING GREEN JADE

Bilingual texts, Vietnamese origin ©TTT and English interpretation ©WND

tôi biết những người khóc lẻ loi
không nguôi một phút
những người khóc lệ không rơi ngoài tim mình
em biết không
lệ là những viên đá xanh
tim rũ rượi

I know of those who cry alone,

non-stop

Those whose tears never roll out of their heart

Don’t you know

tears are green jade

from a heart that wilts


đôi khi anh muốn tin
ngoài đời chỉ còn trời sao là đáng kể
mà bên những vì sao lấp lánh đôi mắt em
đến ngày cuối


Yes sometimes I want to believe

out there life still holds those stars of significance

‘cause next to them your eyes still sparkle

till our last moment

đôi khi anh muốn tin
ngoài đời thơm phức những trái cây của thượng đế
mà bên những trái cây ngọt ngào đôi môi em
nguồn sữa mật khởi đầu


Sometimes I want to believe

out there life still emanates the intoxicating fragrance of God’s fruits

And next to them, the sweet taste of your lips,

our honey milky way of origin


đôi khi anh muốn tin
ngoài đời đầy cỏ hoa tinh khiết
mà bên cỏ hoa quyến rũ cánh tay em
vòng ân ái


Sometimes I want to believe

out there life’s full of wild flowers’ purity

And next to them, the lure of your arms,

our circle of love


đôi khi anh muốn tin
ôi những người khóc lẻ loi một mình
đau đớn lệ là những viên đá xanh
tim rũ rượi


Sometimes I want to believe

those who cry alone

feel their tears held within

muffled,

pained like green jade

from a heart that wilts



Green jade,

Oh crying green jade,

from a heart that wilts

DNN ©May 8, 2022


APPENDIX 2:  Amateur performance of the song, in Vietnam, 2022

Below in this youtube link is what I consider to be the best performance of the song Le Da Xanh written by Cung Tien, coming out of today’s Vietnam:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmbM78PwUEU

Cung Tien’s Le Da Xanh, based on TTT’s poem, performed in Qui Nhon, Vietnam, 2022, by Dam Ha and Dieu Nhan.

See comment by Giang Huong Goodwin as a member of the “internet audience.”

Fair use exception to copyright

______




The versions appearing in the comments section by Anonymous show the flexibility and richness of the Vietnamese language, as TTT's original poem was altered.  These versions should NEVER  be circulated independently or claimed authorship as such, without TTT's original text, because such independent circulation can be challenged as "plagiarism," an ethical concern. The intent, character, and integrity of those who made such alternations are directly at issue.  

Pham Dinh Chuong's version created in 1970-ish Saigon, on the other hand, was his own creation, based on the idea and symbolism expressed in TTT's original text, a form of idea/symbol inspirational transgression (in Vietnamese: "lay y tho").   Such adaptation "lay y tho" had the approval of the original author and was circulated in South Vietnam and abroad as such.   

~~~***~~~

FIRST VERSION: Thanh Tam Tuyen's original, Music by Cung Tien 1957 (English translation/interpretation and personal essay 60+ years later, 2022, by Duong Nhu Nguyen; musical performance by Dieu Nhan and Dam Nha, in Vietnam 2022)

SECOND VERSION:  inspirational: Nua Hon Thuong Dau, music and lyrics by Pham Dinh Chuong, 1970s

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for a beautifully well-written essay, a personal visual of the poem. Without reading this essay, Cung Tiến's "Le Da Xanh" would remain unknown to me. While Cung Tiến's lyrics stayed true to the poem thus retaining its philosophical ideas, Pham Dinh Chuong's "Nửa Hồn Thương Đau" borrowed a few lines to paint an aching image of personal love. An orchestra or even a piano would shatter the silence of loneliness in the poem. A guitar with solitary notes and scattering dissonant chords is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Những người khóc lẻ loi
    Tôi biết
    Lệ không rơi ngoài tim
    Những viên lệ đá xanh
    Khôn nguôi
    Rã rời tim rã rời

    Tôi muốn tin
    Chỉ còn trời sao là đáng kể
    Những vì sao lấp lánh mắt em
    Đến ngày cuối

    Tôi muốn tin
    Ngào ngạt hoa quả của thượng đế
    Ngọt ngào đôi môi em
    Nguồn sữa mật khởi đầu

    Tôi muốn tin
    Đời đầy cỏ hoa tinh khiết
    Bên cỏ hoa cánh tay em
    Vòng ân ái

    Tôi muốn tin
    Những người khóc lẻ loi đau đớn
    Lệ là những viên đá xanh
    Rã rời tim rã rời

    What if besides Cung Tiến's and Phạm Đình Chương's there is a third version of Lệ Đá Xanh based on this revision?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to take on own challenge to compose music for my third revised version of the poem. It won't be as classical as Cung Tiến's though.

      N.H.Ynhi.

      Delete
    2. Serialism in music deals with different musical elements; in Schoenberg's case, it's the 12-tone technique. What is it in literature please?

      N.H.Ynhi

      Delete
  4. serialism is the next step from Schoenberg's 12 tone chromatic scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's safe to say serialism is ideas built upon ideas and they are stringed by certain commonalities then?

      For example, my 2nd revised version of Lệ Đá Xanh is using the exact same words but it has a different flavour to it:

      Những người lẻ loi biết tôi khóc
      Một phút nguôi không
      Những người không khóc, lệ rơi ngoài tim
      Em biết không
      Xanh là những viên lệ đá

      Đôi anh tin khi muốn
      Ngoài trời chỉ đời là đáng kể sao
      Mà vì sao những mắt em lấp lánh đôi
      Đến cuối ngày

      Đôi anh tin khi muốn
      Ngoài thượng đế đời thơm phức những trái của cây
      Những trái ngọt mà đôi môi em ngào bên cây
      Sữa khởi đầu nguồn mật

      Đôi anh tin khi muốn
      Ngoài cỏ hoa đầy đời tinh khiết
      Mà cánh tay em bên cỏ quyến rũ hoa
      Ái vòng ân

      Đôi anh tin khi muốn
      Ôi một mình khóc người lẻ loi
      Những viên đá đau đớn là lệ xanh
      Rũ rượi tim

      N.H.Ynhi

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Posted by gianghuong goodwin at 12:52 PM
    Email This
    BlogThis!
    Share to Twitter
    Share to Facebook
    Share to Pinterest
    Labels: am nhac, biography, essay, literary critiques, MUSIC, NGHI LUAN, NHAC VIET NAM, phe binh van hoc, THO, tho tieng Viet, THO Vietnam, TIEU SU, VIETNAMESE MUSIC, Vietnamese poetry
    7 comments:

    AnonymousMay 10, 2022 at 10:11 AM
    Thanks for a beautifully well-written essay, a personal visual of the poem. Without reading this essay, Cung Tiến's "Le Da Xanh" would remain unknown to me. While Cung Tiến's lyrics stayed true to the poem thus retaining its philosophical ideas, Pham Dinh Chuong's "Nửa Hồn Thương Đau" borrowed a few lines to paint an aching image of personal love. An orchestra or even a piano would shatter the silence of loneliness in the poem. A guitar with solitary notes and scattering dissonant chords is best.

    ReplyDelete

    AnonymousMay 10, 2022 at 2:13 PM
    Những người khóc lẻ loi
    Tôi biết
    Lệ không rơi ngoài tim
    Những viên lệ đá xanh
    Khôn nguôi
    Rã rời tim rã rời

    Tôi muốn tin
    Chỉ còn trời sao là đáng kể
    Những vì sao lấp lánh mắt em
    Đến ngày cuối

    Tôi muốn tin
    Ngào ngạt hoa quả của thượng đế
    Ngọt ngào đôi môi em
    Nguồn sữa mật khởi đầu

    Tôi muốn tin
    Đời đầy cỏ hoa tinh khiết
    Bên cỏ hoa cánh tay em
    Vòng ân ái

    Tôi muốn tin
    Những người khóc lẻ loi đau đớn
    Lệ là những viên đá xanh
    Rã rời tim rã rời

    What if besides Cung Tiến's and Phạm Đình Chương's there is a third version of Lệ Đá Xanh based on this revision?


    AnonymousMay 12, 2022 at 10:47 AM
    I would like to take on own challenge to compose music for my third revised version of the poem. It won't be as classical as Cung Tiến's though.

    N.H.Ynhi.

    Delete

    AnonymousMay 12, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    Serialism in music deals with different musical elements; in Schoenberg's case, it's the 12-tone technique. What is it in literature please?

    N.H.Ynhi

    Delete
    Reply

    gianghuong goodwinMay 13, 2022 at 4:05 PM
    serialism is the next step from Schoenberg's 12 tone chromatic scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    AnonymousMay 13, 2022 at 7:39 PM
    It's safe to say serialism is ideas built upon ideas and they are stringed by certain commonalities then?

    For example, my 2nd revised version of Lệ Đá Xanh is using the exact same words but it has a different flavour to it:

    Những người lẻ loi biết tôi khóc
    Một phút nguôi không
    Những người không khóc, lệ rơi ngoài tim
    Em biết không
    Xanh là những viên lệ đá

    Đôi anh tin khi muốn
    Ngoài trời chỉ đời là đáng kể sao
    Mà vì sao những mắt em lấp lánh đôi
    Đến cuối ngày

    Đôi anh tin khi muốn
    Ngoài thượng đế đời thơm phức những trái của cây
    Những trái ngọt mà đôi môi em ngào bên cây
    Sữa khởi đầu nguồn mật

    Đôi anh tin khi muốn
    Ngoài cỏ hoa đầy đời tinh khiết
    Mà cánh tay em bên cỏ quyến rũ hoa
    Ái vòng ân

    Đôi anh tin khi muốn
    Ôi một mình khóc người lẻ loi
    Những viên đá đau đớn là lệ xanh
    Rũ rượi tim

    N.H.Ynhi

    Delete

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The woman described in my two comments above also used the label of Tran Quy Cap high school and the port town of Hoi An, my birthplace, in order to gain my trust. I gave that trust as a gift to my home culture, and it was abused. DNN

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had sufficient information to conclude that the poster "Anonymous" is a female who has contacted me on Facebook for FB friendship, and who has volunteered to participate in my Vietnamese publication project by performing layout. I have laid out the conditions and the general principles for her -- I don't accept people's volunteering or into my 'friendship" circle without certain expectations of integrity, long-term commitment, and shared common goals.

    Based on the information I received and my observations of this person's conduct and treatment of me, she is dishonest and irresponsible. Her conduct in my opinion constituted passive-aggressive harassment of me and "tricks" performed to gain access to my life, including looking up my work mailing address on the net and giving my phone number to others who made impermissible phone calls to my office line to discuss unwelcomed personal matters and to get close to me without my permission. She and her cohorts were warned and told to cease and desist with legal letters. Yet, she turned the table around, and falsely accusing me of "harassing" her. How could I harass anyone who approached me and created problems for me on their own willingness, such that i had to tell them to "cease and desist"? I asked to speak to the person's lawyer. No lawyer has appeared.

    The person known as "Anonymous" here has also disappeared. She was long blocked on FB, yet had continued to contact me and wanted to continue her "volunteer" work. No such work has been done although she was given access to my creative products for 4 months. At first, she refused to return the work products, and lied that she had deleted them.

    She also announced and bragged that she would be using, and/or had used, my concept of my creative work for the work she had done and/or would be doing for her "relatives." When I raised the unethical plagiarism and "lifting" issue, she apologized and sent me a correspondence promising not to do or continue these tortious acts. She called her promise an 'affidavit" without having it notarized. I accepted this un-notarized promise as a gesture of her remorse, out of compassion and generosity and my desire to keep peace. She then volunteered for more work. (continued below)

    ReplyDelete
  10. (continued from above)



    Very soon later, I received correspondence from her live-in partner showing me proof that this Anonymous' "un-notarized promise" was a fraud in order to gain my trust. She had made such "affidavit" knowing the "affidavit" was not notarized, and intended for such "affidavit" to act as a tool of deceit while she maintained that she had the right to "lift" my creative concept for her own use. In the same correspondence, she also lied and threatened "suicide," but the following days after the date of this "suicidal note" (written without my knowing at first), she also contacted me to brag about vacations and to volunteer again for multiple projects she wanted to do on my behalf, in order to remain her access to my life and work.

    Because of this terrible experience where I lost several months of productivity because of this "Anonymous" woman, these "varied" versions of TTT's original poem posted by this "Anonymous" cannot be trusted, and the appearance of cavalier plagiarism and irresponsible, unethical play with the author's text is in the picture. For that reason, these "variations" of TTT's text cannot be considered creative experimentals or "hoa tho" made in good faith> I made this determination based on what i knew about this person out of my personal disheartening experience in which my kindness and openness toward fellow Vietnamese women was abused and exploited.

    These Anonymous variations of TTT's original text show instead the person's cavalier irresponsible nature, reckless disregard of authors and their well being (myself being her victim), all made for her own selfish incentives, unhealthy emotional needs, and unethical games. Therefore, I don't endorse what the person did here in her comments, but I left the person's comments here for public perusal. I will not consider these "variations" to be acceptable as part of any tribute given to the late Thanh Tam Tuyen, based on my personal knowledge of the comment poster. (cont'd below).

    ReplyDelete
  11. (cont'd from above)


    She also claimed in correspondence that she was "infatuated" with me and that was her reason for approaching and wanting to be in my circle of 'friendship." She also wanted to doctor a "friendship" between me and her live-in partner whom she considered her "lover" who also contacted me on FB to declare "love" for me. She was immediately blocked after that. They were both known in the Vietnamese community as lesbians. But I did not let that be a factor in my "acceptance" of them on FB at the beginning of this horrifying experience. All such "infatuation," "doctoring," and professed "love" or "caring" made by them, as strangers approaching me on FB, is never welcomed by me, and they were told repeatedly. I objected so vehemently to these comments and acts, and they ignored my objections as though they were never raised! Such deliberate denial of reality.

    Although I am an advocate for civil rights and never screened or discriminate against people based on their gender identity or sexual preference, I am not a lesbian and I found these "infatuation" and "love" words and acts of intrusion into my life by these two women to be repulsive, the same way I would severely reprimand and block married men who accessed me from the public domain with the same behaviors and words. These types of individuals were blocked from my FB account/page and legal letters given to them when they showed their intention and impropriety. In the case of the two women who approached me on FB and later on by emails described herein, I also reported these incidents to the local police, who identified themselves as law enforcement officer in contacting this "Anonymous" commenter for an investigation. She pretended not to know who they are by sending me her unsworn apology and her inquiry as to who the officer is. She knew very well who the officer is. Her pretense (and lie when the officer contacted her), again, showed her manipulative and deceitful nature. She and her "live-in" partner were blocked from my email (given to them by necessity for the volunteer layout work), and my FB accounts.


    I do not include in this account other harassing acts committed by this Anonymous and her live-in partner, who wrote me to state that if I sue them in a court of law for tortious interference and infliction of emotional distress, "the judge would laugh." So they have no fear of legal or ethical boundaries.

    After I blocked them on FB, all contacts with them was for the purpose of protection of my work products entrusted to this Anonymous for "layout," which she never did after months of possession. During the process, I bent backward to give them the benefit of the doubt, before I finally had enough evidence of a very sinister pattern of foul play, such that I had to write this note. Their motivation in doing all these is a biggest concern under scrutiny. Their harassment of me and their singling me out for improper access cast shame on my home culture as well as the LGBT community. I am part of my home culture -- Vietnamese Americans, but I am not part of the LGBT community by lifestyle or conduct. These two women have abused my openness and respect given to them as fellow Vietnamese. As strangers approaching me on FB, they used their volunteer "layout" work as pretext to impose and force their lesbian "love, infatuation, and lifestyle" upon me. This is a tort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The terrible experience and theft of my time described in my comment above badly reflected upon my home culture, as these acts of disturbance were done by Vietnamese -- that my good faith treatment and trust placed on a Vietnamese reader of my column here was betrayed and therefore misplaced. THERE WAS NEVER ANY LAYOUT OF MY WORK PERFORMED BY THIS VIETNAMESE WOMAN. So, again, her intent in approaching me should be questioned and justifiably so. The evidence shows that she approached me in the name of our culture and her reading of my work, but in reality she approached me because of her unhealthy needs regarding her private life and issues between her and he live-in partner, which she tried to make into my issues. this is unlawful harassment and she was told so many times, even in legal letters. Based on the evidence, her intent and that of her partner were premeditated. I tried to be compassionate and not pass judgment on them, as she volunteered to work on the layout for me, and her partner wanted 'friendship," but their ill intent could not be hidden. The record shows that.

    ReplyDelete