Sunday, December 24, 2017

BACH-GOUNOD'S AVE MARIA -- SACRED MUSIC FOR THE HOLIDAYS


This is the only one piece where i know if I am to sing it again today, I will do better despite aging, despite lack of training or practice, because the song itself calls for constant self-awareness and self-reflection, to oneself and not just to an audience, even if one is just an amateur singing for relaxation. 
To the sacred prayer one kneels, and to the epitome of beauty in voice and in music (globally performed by the very best already), one has to lower oneself, all to the ground, in the smallest hope of elevating oneself to a supreme, untouchable standard of beauty and goodness..
The artwork on display here is among my favorites. Done in 2009, I spent hours, each line, each brush...so this is not my usual quickie art. Multi-media (but no water color, no oil--I did not want to handle the fuss), wall display without frame, 22 x 28. I meant to draw someone's bride, someone's mother, so she is faceless, sitting in solitude, in waiting: a Vietnamese female motif on the universal theme of sacred motherhood and humans' eternal longing for love and peace, against betrayal, oppression, imprisonment...in sufferings, and in faith...

No comments:

Post a Comment