Thursday, July 25, 2019

ave maria bach gounod amateur live performance

one whole note or at least half tone lower than the original score, per my pianist. the vietnamese lyrics  are mine.
the sudden volum increase at "mortis" was the result of my uneven voice projection. When this was done, i was into my ̀50s, and was no longer able to project on every line.
---
ôI vinh danh là kiếp lưu đày
Mẹ chờ mong con mãi
cứu rỗi con về
nơi chốn thiên đường cuả bao linh hồn đã đi tìm Jesus
---
i post my amateur recording of Ave Maria, against all odds. I don't "revamp," only picking up the courage to sing the most celebrated tune of this world (and I will be the first to tell you what I did wrong with the piece here, where the tension in the vocal cord was, where the stream of breath or vibrato should be, the unevenness, the taking a rest rather than legato, and how I am always dying to do it over and over again, this time a little better than the last, and how I wish I could raise the bar for myself, a bit at a time). But, this was a live performance so I am stuck with it!
Naturally I had to stay very faithful to the score (no rubato), boldly testing my amateur self, having been so tired after all the other numbers in my one-woman show on this recital stage as an untrained singer (I consider "trained" to mean having the luxury of at least a bachelor's in voice with practice and warm-up every day). My next life, then!
Nonetheless...
This is the only one piece where i know if I am to sing it again today, I will do better despite aging, despite lack of training or practice, because the song itself calls for constant self-awareness and self-reflection, to oneself and not just to an audience, even if one is just an amateur singing for relaxation. To the sacred prayer one kneels, and to the epitome of beauty in voice and in music (globally performed by the very best already), one has to lower oneself, all to the ground, in the smallest hope of elevating oneself to a supreme, untouchable standard...It's the individual journey that counts, hopeless maybe, yet ongoing as courage, because, that is THE HUMAN SPIRIT...
The artwork on display here is among my favorites. Done in 2009, I spent hours, each line, each brush...so this is not my usual quickie art. Multi-media (but no water color, no oil--I did not want to handle the fuss), wall display without frame, 22 x 28. I meant to draw someone's bride, someone's mother, so she is faceless, sitting in solitude, in waiting...A Vietnamese female motif on the universal theme of sacred motherhood and humans' eternal longing for love and peace, against betrayal, oppression, imprisonment...in sufferings, and in faith...

No comments:

Post a Comment