Wednesday, April 13, 2022

poetry for April







SOUTH VIETNAM-UKRAINES: 48 YEARS

©Nguyen Thi SaiGon

April 2022,
World, you’re all joining hands crying for Ukraine
We too were forced to leave our home the same,
on flimsy boats and cargo planes

We, too, lost our land

Then why 48 years ago you didn’t cry for us
48 years ago we alone pulled our hearse
Unlike Ukraine, we were called The Defeated
but not The Invaded


April 2022,
World, you’re all carrying your torch for Ukraine,
but 48 years ago, no torch for us
‘cause our war was brotherhood at battle,
yet Soviet was involved,
to have Marx installed
And China too, after Nixon’s trip
Tell me, then, about the international chip
that turned off the world’s light, and turned on our fate


So let me reach out to that Ukrainian,
whose sickly grandmother may be dying after too much weep
while skeleton grandfather keeps on living
in hopes of a reunion
but death already signals,
in separation

You, my Ukrainian counterpart, can’t rush back to take them with you
Promises no longer hold true


April 2022,
48 years ago, I crossed the ocean
I, too, left behind a sick grandmother
and the feeble grandfather, trembling his skeleton self

***

So, my counterpart Ukrainian, in memory we meet
On the last plane out, I did not look back,
and pretended I had no more slack
Before the airport was rocketed,
I heard a soldier had shot himself, to avoid being executed,
as invaders rolled in, tanks and armies in uniform,
The world ahead of me said no,
no invasion

So, no,
no intervention

The winners declared
April their Liberation


I am grieving for you, that Ukrainian
The wrenching moment when you depart,
you, too, must have a grandmother, whose tears pierce her heart
and a feeble grandfather who lives on to starve
When they die, only their souls fly to your side
Like me, you will learn to live through the night


So let me sing to you, Ukraine
the song of my defunct home:
I am that collapsed South Vietnam whose grandparents have long been dead
In the gap of 48 years, my wound’s still fresh
oozing still, behind emotional bandaid


You, Ukraine and me,
the child of liberty,
our right to be free

© Nguyen Thi Saigon 4/12/2022



No comments:

Post a Comment