Thursday, November 23, 2017

TRIBUTE TO DMITRII (cont'd): HIS ROMANTIC SIDE


I am speechless. The man was built to sing. The open face and mouth of a world-class singer, and such deep, kind gaze that grabs the audience, the posture that grounds him to sing. The bel canto voice plus the aura for the operatic stage -- larger than life -- with thousands of Russian history behind him at the Kremlin, and Siberia in his soul, the way he stands and utters sounds and gives that big smile in between words and at the end of a tune, he makes Frank Sinatra and Elvis look kid-like, all the tenors of the past become...convent furniture, Richard Gere and Gregory Peck look lame and useless on their big or small screen...And then finally such perfect French, the language of romance..."Doucement doucement, c'est a dire L'amour!" 

Hail!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. THE WORLD HAD THIS MAN AND LOST HIM. This tape is for the mass public, not just opera lovers. I understand bel canto. I understand how and why the face, the mouth, the sound are AND should be like that. I understand beauty and music. I understand the artistic beauty of Russia, from the Bolshoy to their drama and literature and their history of bloodshed, dam mau, and I understand Boris Pasternak's train to snow-filled Siberia -- their archipelago gulag. If the world's womanhood declares they are forever in love with this man, I understand too. Listen to his French: only the Russians can speak French like that. Once he existed, nobody else could hold a candle. Julio Aglesias and all the tenors of the past can become...convent furniture or they can sing at church. Sheer charisma and talent. Sheer magnet. I am just awed.

    ReplyDelete